View My Stats

Friday, May 14, 2010

Grrr-aduation!!!

It is graduation time and people all around cannot stop 'celebrating'.(Just a puny 'r' in 'celibate' creates so much of a difference!)
Would-be-graduates immerse themselves in alcohol and/or walk around in wet skimpy clothes on campus(depending on whether it's a he or a she). They wear strange apparels and stranger head gear and harbor hopeful illusions about the future-Theirs and others'.Their parents put up 'College-Grad' stickers on their cars and float cartoon-graduate balloons from their car tops.Mother earth simply cannot keep up with their gargantuan lust for roses,daisies, germinis,orchids and what not. Having spent much of their last 4 or 5 or 6 or...n years, as the case may be, in college learning (and often preaching!) responsible use of earth's resources they go berserk and their unabashed display of floral fetish is but quite disconcerting. Some hang Olive ,alpine and what not coronas around their neck like Olympians or victorious gladiators.
They throw parties and want everyone to know that someone they know has arrived. That the world will be a better place for it and that had their graduation been a bit earlier our world would not have had Dec,2012 as it's tentative expiry date.
Too much gaiety around me disturbs me. I don't know exactly what feeling it is though. I don't suppose it could be called jealousy or contempt or resentment . Not that I don't want the show to go on.By All means it should , it must- for me to make such sullen observations about it!Indeed, I have found it central for my general way of existence that there be people or events or places -entities really- that have done nothing against my well being materially or morally - but those that I could lampoon and critique for no fault of theirs. You must pardon me my idiosyncrasy if you are reading my blog. I get restless if I don't find something to lambaste at regular intervals of time. Politics, Politicians, free style poetry, Cliched jokes, humorless acquaintances, state of High Energy Physics....you name it and no amount of money will suffice to keep me from lambasting it.Perhaps the closest dictionary 'abstract' noun that I can classify my feelings into is cynicism :
"An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others"
As I sit now at a south facing window of Leavey library there must be atleast a couple of thousand people in festive attire holding balloons and wearing garlands and leafy crowns and photo-oping away in the McCarthy quad adjacent below.Their caps and gowns bright black , red sashes fluttering in the air.From my vantage point inside sealed windows high up on the fourth floor, they are mute characters on a television screen and myself - a deaf and grumpy cricket reporter covering the Indian team performing at West Indies recently.All I can think of producing is grump and yet more grump.
Can a possible explanation (why do we even need one?!) of the source of all this grump be that I never got to attend my college graduation that was postponed to a date I wasn't in India anymore and the day of my high school graduation I was away in Patna (unsuccessfully attempting the Indian National Chemistry Olympiad).
Who is to say ?
Why something is,
The other 
or 
The One Way!

1 comment:

  1. I do not have much authority to be cynical about your article... But nonetheless, would like to point out that the difference also arises due to vowels. Finally, Who is to say? Indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete